Kiwi 106 Auto Sense Issue

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
zvonx
Kiwi 106 Auto Sense Issue

I have been having issues getting my Kiki-106 to connect to the vyzex editor. 

I have been having these issues with 1.03, 2.00 and 2.01 ( probably worth mentioning that I did see the note that I need to manually select the 2.00 boot loader when I updated to 2.01 since I installed 2.00 as soon as it came out)

Currently when I boot the 106 i see 2 - 2 - 0 flash in the display. Shouldn't that say 2 - 0 - 1?

I have tried both a motu midi express 128 and a midisport 8x8.

I have tried multiple midi cables.

I have gone through all the troubleshooting steps in the connection guide.

So here is what happens:

When I launch the editor it senses the correct ports then it goes to the black screen where it starts loading patches. Here it holds with just a little red bar progress.

If I press a key on the kiwi then it finishes loading patches. However once the editor fully loads it says a kiwi was not found. But the editor does work to control the kiwi.
If I hit the blue button to search again it does find it - however the firmware level section still displays 0.00. If it hit scan in that box the editor goes back to saying no kiwi has been found.

I am on Mac OS X. I had these problems with 10.8.5 and 10.10.

This kiwi started life as a HS-60

Thanks for any help!

Psicraft Designs
Psicraft Designs's picture
Hi Zvonx,

Hi Zvonx,

The LCD display doesn't show the minor version levels when the unit is powered up so that's not a problem. You'll know what version you are running by simply looking at the scan results in the GLOBAL page of the Vyzex editor.

As for the hanging of the upload process (Getting the user groups on start up) and the autosense strangeness... Check your MIDI IN and MIDI OUT ports settings in the editor: You should either have 'Use All Available MIDI ports' checked in both or you should have the only specific MIDI port you have the Kiwi connected to selected with the 'Use All' unchecked. It is possible you have these dialogs set to a manual port selection that is not correct. 

The next thing to check (especially with MOTU interfaces) is that there is no strange looping, active sensing or other merging going on within the interface's patchbay functional block.

See if you can borrow a single USB MIDI interface like an M-Audio UNO or a Roland/Cakewalk UM-ONE and try it instead - This would be a good A/B test to see if the issue is in your multiport interfaces or not.

Finally, one other thing to try is a factory reset on the Kiwi-106: That's a powerup with MANUAL and WRITE held down (This WILL clear your patch banks, so only do it if your patches are backed up). On the off chance some bad data is blocking the Kiwi from replying to patch requests, this would fix the situation.

Let us know how it goes.

Tony

zvonx
the factory reset did the

the factory reset did the trick! thanks so much!

Psicraft Designs
Psicraft Designs's picture
The simplest solution wins again... ;-)

Glad to hear this sorted you out.

Cheers,

Tony

NickALAGNA
connection issues

Tony i just got juno with kiwi and the software editor does not seem to be connecting to hardware, midi ports are detected and the softweare is able to monitor incoming midi info but the software doesnt get the patch info and the button and stuff dont sync up, yesteday after much button pressing and losing the hardware patches and doing  manual / write restart on juno the soft and hardware did hook up and everything seemd to work but o now back to not loading however again the soft does show that it is receiving midi data from me playing the key on juno??!!

NickALAGNA
auto sense sych juno kiwi with soft

Help IM so excited to get this working!  i have kiwa mod installed and would like to have kiwi communicate with soft but no luck i have latest version of firmware im using iconnect midi2 and as midi interface and this has worked for dave smith synths and my strymon pedals so I think it is fine as our the cables. i am a guitard so this may bea factor and my midi tech skills are low so bare with me but i promise some happening juno tracks !! i await!!!

NickALAGNA
connection issues

Last night the kiwisoft and the kiwi 106 connected I dont know exaclty what I did be they communicated and seemed to work well today I go back and the same no communication, however if I set kiwi soft to monitor the software show incoming midi data from me playing the juno so there definiateloy is hard to soft connection, but the patches and sounds settings dont load and the controls dont move either soft and hard ware , so what to do is this and easy thing or a deep dark mystery?